Monday, October 20, 2008

The Veronica's Tradition

The "Veronica's" have a tradition. And it's good. Let me first introduce the Veronica's. We are a group of coaches, all women, who went through the last part of coaching certification together. We would meet weekly via phone from all over the US (and Canada) and coach each other, with insight and feedback from our leader. We did this for months... 9 maybe? I can't remember. And we forged friendships, even though I have only met one Veronica in person. These women are classy. Strong, courageous, funny, loving, kind. They are life coaches. What else can I say??
As the group was disbanding, and we all successfully passed our certification exams, a most exuberant Veronica suggested that we begin a tradition called "Grateful Heart Friday". Every Friday, we take a few minutes and write down what we feel grateful for in our lives. And so we began...
We have had struggles amongst us. Big struggles like deaths in the family, illnesses, miscarriage, empty nest; And big joys, like marriages, births, love, and new beginnings. And, still, Friday arrives, and the GHF lists begin to trickle in. Sometimes they continue to come on Saturday, or Sunday, or even Monday. And sometimes they arrive early on Thursday. And sometimes we don't hear from someone for a few weeks. No matter. Eventually, they show up again and we catch a glimpse of the beauty of their life in that moment. Or, sometimes, its often the beauty of their perspective. They find the stars in the dark of night.
Even more than writing my own list, I savor reading the lists of my beloved Veronicas. They awe me. Sometimes they are so deep and moving. And sometimes they are basic and grounding. Some seem effortless. And some effort-full. After all, gratitude is a practice. Like anything else, sometimes it flows abundantly, and sometimes we need to 'pull it out of our back pocket' (as my college lacrosse coach used to say.)
So, while its only Monday, I will begin my practice...I am grateful for this blog. It matters to me to write. It matters more to write than to be read. It, too, is a practice. But, mostly, I am grateful for my friends out there who are, even if for a moment, with me on this journey.