Friday, October 3, 2008

The Dance

Amelia is sick. She went to bed with a runny nose, and its been down hill (or down pour) ever since. She had just started sleeping through the night, again. This past Tuesday. And, now, she is not napping or sleeping well. She wants to be held. Or maybe I just want to hold her, and comfort her. And she abliges me. Willingly.

And so we will begin, anew, our efforts to help her sleep through the night. Once she feels better. Or I do.

And so it goes. Two steps forward, one step back, forward again.

It doesn't matter. Today, I am enjoying the moments of holding, rocking, cuddling with her. Tomorrow, or Sunday, I will focus again on what she needs longer-term with regards to sleep. Or I need.

What matters is my tiny-bodied 10-month old who has watery eyes, a stuffy-nose, congestion, and still wants me to show her everything.

"Do you want some water, Amelia?"

"DAT!"

"Do you want a snack?"

"DAT!"

"Do you want to go outside?"

"DAAAAAAATTTTT!!!"

She doesn't know she is supposed to rest, to sleep, to get better. She wants to play. Sick or well, rested or tired, the beat goes on...

And so does the dance of motherhood.