Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sick Day.

Oh, how I miss old sick days where I would lay on the coach and indulge myself with bad lifetime movies, delicious soup, and complete "to-do shutdown". In other words, every thing besides my recovery went on hold.
And then there was Amelia. I came down with a heck of a bug this weekend. Joe offered to stay home from work, but I assured him that the two of us could handle it. We would make do.
For Amelia, that meant eating her meals next to me on the couch, rather than her highchair. It meant playing inside all day long (for two days straight), staying in her pjs, and entirely too much tv in the background.
For me, it meant reading the same books (to Amelia) over and over again, and finding the strength to still make her meals, give her milk, and attend to her needs. And catching a good old movie on tv (or parts of it, at least). Oh, and napping!
Amelia was surprisingly easy during these two days. She didn't complain, except when I no longer had the energy to read her "Say Good Night" for the 43rd time. She stayed close to me, and was content to play with her toys nearby. She didn't even make a run for the stairs, or try to grab Phoebe the Cat's food. I wondered if she sensed my sickness.
Today, still feeling rather under the weather, I napped in the morning with Amelia, and then summoned the energy to take us food shopping. Amelia was hysterical. Literally. She was in deep giggles in the grocery cart, happy as a clam to be out of the house.
And then we returned home. I decided it was time to attend to some baking for our Halloween party on Friday, finish some laundry, and send some e-mails.
Soon enough, Amelia was at my feet, climbing up my pants, pleading to be held. She wanted me. All of me.
I think that Amelia liked our sick days. A little time-out together with not much to do except be together. I liked it, too.