Thursday, October 9, 2008

Little Person

When did she start to understand "not in your mouth"? To know where the stars were? To remember which name goes with which stuffy (animal friend) in her crib?? To respond to "can I have a cuddle?" with a sweet gesture of laying her head on my shoulder???

There are these moments in motherhood where it seems our children grow by leaps and bounds overnight. Its as if the transition becomes somehow obscured, but the arrival is palpable. Yesterday was one of the days. Amelia began to repeat my sign language, after I had nearly given up. She took steps on her own. She retrieved items that I asked her to find. She showed me what she wanted with that little finger. She shook her head, 'yes'.

She is so very tiny. And yet there is such a big spirit and person in there. And she is taking it all in right now. It astounds me. I wonder, what does she notice? What is she thinking??

Tonight, our cat, Phoebe, got a claw caught in the window screen. I was on my way upstairs to put Amelia to bed when I noticed. I went over to help, but Phoebe the Cat hissed. This is not like Phoebe. She was clearly upset. I stepped back, and drew in my breath. Amelia, I noticed, had a confused and serious look on her face. Finally, Phoebe freed herself, but not before a couple of growls and hisses at the window screen. As soon as she was free, Amelia let out a giddy noise. And she smiled. Did my child understand what was happening?? Is the world beginning to make sense on a whole new level?

I am enraptured with her right now. I stare into those eyes, and talk, talk, talk. We walk, and I point out things like chandeliers, kettles, banisters. What she doesn't get, doesn't matter. She likes the game. And she has upped the ante.
Posted by Picasa