Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Natural, Organic Way

Travelling the au natural path as a mama is a job in and of itself. There are so many products out there that claim to be "healthy" and "safe", and yet you can still find articles and books warning you against it. I've gone to several stores in search of the safest bath toys, alone, for my daughter. She so enjoys the bath, and loved her rubber ducky. Now that she is able to grab and pick things up, everything goes into her mouth. I would cringe when she chewed on her increasingly grubby rubber ducky. Since then, I have gone through a few iterations of bath toys, continuing to find ones that make me feel more comfortable. Its very important to me that she has fun, and is able to explore her world, and that I make the best choices possible to support her exploration. To me, that means reducing the toxins and chemicals and God-knows-what-else that are hidden within the not-so-goodies we consume and use.
This Saturday, we are starting her on "real food". I am very excited for this ongoing adventure of feeding my little girl, though aware that it will be a commitment and more work. We are going to start her on avocados. Why? I love them, I've read that they are a good food starter, and, mostly, they seem like more fun than a basic rice cereal.

I am still researching all that goes into making, storing and "serving" (if that's what you call this messy adventure) healthy baby food. Let the games begin!