Monday, May 19, 2008

The Fools in Us

This weekend, I connected with some friends of mine at a 1st (adorable) birthday party. A few of us were talking about how the road of motherhood is paved with questions and not knowing (are we making the best choices for our children? What are the impacts??). I was reminded of this quote:
"I must learn to love the fool in me - the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries. It alone protects me against the utterly self-controlled, masterful tyrant whom I also harbor and who would rob me of human aliveness, humility, and dignity but for my fool." Theodore Rubin
We call those tyrants "gremlins" in coaching - our inner voices that express self-doubt, insecurity, comparisons, judgements. How can we expect to know it all when we often don't know what we don't know? When we find ourselves in new territory with no reliable map? When we never can know how the chapter will end until we live it?
Ah, we must have patience with ourselves and know that we are, always, human. When we know that what we're doing is not working, then we must readjust. In the meantime, the more forgiving we are of ourselves, the sooner we will learn, the more loving and available we are to our children, and the more we will enjoy the journey...