Monday, November 24, 2008

Skipping.

When was the last time that you skipped? I mean physically skipped? Yesterday afternoon, I was walking to the corner store to pick up a bottle of wine. It was bitingly cold, and so I decided hasten my walk to a skip, with the intention of keeping warm. I felt a bit silly, but, soon enough, the joy of skipping far outweighed the self-consciousness.

I came home, and asked Joe when the last time he "skipped" was. He asked me if I meant the last time he skipped an Eagles football game on TV. He was serious. I responded that I meant literally, physically skipping. Oh, he replied, sometimes I skip around the corner at work! I did not know this little tid bit about my boyish husband. I liked it. I then posed the question to him. Do you think its possible to skip and not be happy at the same time? He thought for a moment and then replied, No, he did not think it was possible to skip and be unhappy at the same time. So, there it is.

I dare you, if you are feeling impervious to joy at any given moment, to go outside and skip for a few minutes. Trust me, the self-consciousness you feel will give way to childlike, in-the-moment, true joy. You needn't spend any money, and I promise that you have the time in your day.

Ahhhh. It feels good. I'm going to do it again today, in fact.