Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Basic Instinct?

Sometimes I mark my territory. Like a dog lifting its leg. I am not proud of this. But, it's true.

Today, I noticed a man standing in my tiny garden, right up against the window, helping himself to our hose while he finished his cigarette (do you know how many cigarette butts I find daily in there??). Innocent enough, but it bugs me how people disrespect our property here in the city. I've had my patio furniture stolen, my patio destroyed and re-built, plants tramped, many an empty vodka bottle dumped; So, when I saw this man helping himself, I stepped outside and asked, "may I help you?" I let him finish. I simply marked my territory.

I do this to protect my family, too. This morning, I received an e-mail that raised my spikes. It triggered my instict to mark my territory. Our boundaries. Back-off. Instead, I took a few deep breaths and asked myself 'how important is this really?' Not very. And, so, instead, I picked up Amelia and kissed those pink cheeks.

I guess I still marked my territory.