Monday, September 29, 2008

Recipe #11

Tonight's dinner: Slow Cooked Tex Mex Chicken and Beans from Martha Stewart online.

Verdict: Delicious & simple. My husband's comments, "Yum. Spicy. Reminds me of a burrito!", and he doesn't even like cilantro (my favorite spice). Thought I'd share it with all of you slow-cooker fans. For the record, its new recipe #11/25 of my personal challenge. Oh, and I took the "do not open lid" seriously. It took all of my restraint not to check on it throughout the day, or give it a stir. It turned out perfectly, though, so I recommend heeding that advice. If you try it, let me know what you think!

1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed
1 jar (11 ounces) mild or medium salsa (1 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles, in adobo sauce
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), chopped
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream, for serving
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving

Directions
In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together beans, salsa, chiles, flour, and 1 cup water. Season chicken with salt and pepper; arrange on top of bean mixture. Scatter onion and bell pepper on top of chicken.
Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours. (Do not open lid or stir.)
Remove chicken from stew; shred into large pieces and return to stew. Serve topped with sour cream and cilantro.