Friday, September 19, 2008

The Perfect Day

Today is the perfect day. It is cool, breezy, sunny and oh-so-fresh outside. I began my morning curled up with Amelia on the sofa, reading books. This is unusual for my on-my-go daughter. However, she was up a lot last night; She woke up fussy and clingy. Only books, and being near me, would do.

Thankfully, I got into bed at 7:05 pm last night. Yes, you read that correctly. At 6:40 pm, I was dressed in yoga gear, eating my peanut butter and banana on wheat, talking with Joe. 20 more minutes to kill, I thought, before my hot yoga class. And I am so sleepy. I could just go to bed right now, I declared. And my eyes lit up. I really could. Joe tried to convince me to stick it out and go to yoga. I did the math. That means I'd be in bed no earlier than 9:30 pm. I have plans tomorrow evening, and then I'm driving to Wmass with Amelia for the weekend. That was it. Seize the moment! I hopped up the stairs, made myself a lavendar bath, and prepared for sleep. By 7:05, I lay my heavy body down. By the time Amelia first awoke at 10pm, it felt like 2am. Well done, Erin. Good choice. Even though our night was interrupted too many times to count, my body still rested for 12 hours.

As Amelia and I snuggled under the blanket on the sofa at 7 am, I began to feel a swell of excitment for the coming season. There are few things that I love more than crisp fall days, and beginning them in my pjs curled up with my two joes: my husband and a cup of coffee! Now, I get the added bonus of Amelia. What, I ask, is better than the sweet smell of a baby, your baby, in the morning?? Nothing.

We dressed for our day. Amelia in her new, adorable matching sweater and hat from Grandma and new jeans from Daddy, and me in my old velour J. Lo sweats. Time for one of us to go shopping.

Off we went. To the local coffee shop where I had my first hot chai tea of the season. Oooooh. Another favorite of mine. We walked to the Whole Foods Market, a daily stop, and picked up some fresh sweet potato, yellow squash, frozen peas, and popcorn kernels. The first three for Amelia and the latter for Joe, since Mama is going out tonight!

I pointed out the pumpkins to Amelia and stared longingly at the abundant mums. I will buy myself a couple this weekend in western Mass. This weekend marks the start of the fall for me. A visit to the old Deerfield fair, pumpkin patches, and the best year-round farmer's market. An annual tradition that I share with my mom.

As we walked home, and I declared today the perfect day.